Monday, December 27, 2010

Day One

My first day of LOG EVERYTHING is going well. I'm going to keep some notes here, and also verbalize some of my plans for the next month/quarter. (I am planning no further than end of March right now, because, realistically, I can't see that far into the future.)

Exercise: Today was a running day - the second day of Week 2 in the Couch to 5k. I'm more out-of-shape than I like to admit, but it didn't give me any trouble.

I had lunch at Guero's, which was lovely. Mexican food is nice because it doesn't automatically contain tons of flour and bread - corn tortillas make me happy. I do wonder a little about cross-contamination and non-obvious gluten, though, so I'm going to try to note when I eat out so that I can reference it if need be.

Among other things, I'm going to keep extended notes on the data in my spreadsheet here. I'm not going to post the actual sheet, although once I have a month or so of data I may post some selected charts if there are any interesting patterns.

- Pain in the morning: I'm calling it a 2. I had some noticeable stiffness but no loss of range of motion and no pain. (I'm going to try to define these until I get used to the scale, so it stays internally consistent.)
- I split the Pain column into AM and PM because how I feel first thing on waking and how I feel by the end of the day aren't necessarily connected.
- I'm going to log caffeine intake there because DailyBurn doesn't do it automatically.

Some notes on the January plan:

- I'm going to log all my food but I'm not going to change my eating patterns right now. (Not consciously, anyway.) I want to get a reasonable baseline before I try something like hardcore paleo or whatever. Of course, the act of logging will probably change my habits somewhat, because I'm much less likely to snack mindlessly when I know I have to log it after, but I won't be deliberately restricting calories or anything.

- Likewise, I'm not going to start a weightlifting program right now, either. I will be going to karate hopefully three days a week and running three days a week, and that's all I want to load up with. I am going to get a Crossfit Total at the beginning and end of the month in order to get a strength measurement, but I won't be training for it.

What I will do, instead, is do some very light, very basic bodyweight exercises a couple days a week when I'm not doing other things. Pushups, air squats, and bench dips - just a set or two a couple days a week, and only when I'm not feeling tired out from karate. Since the dojo is closed this week, I'll do some on my non-running days and hopefully be ready for the CFT on Sunday, and then just use them as filler throughout the month.

- At the end of the month, I'll take a look at the data and refine from there. I also have a doctor's appointment the first week in February, so I'll be talking to her about medication - I would love to be off prednisone completely by then, but we'll have to see.

No comments: