Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Among other things, I'm trying to live on a fairly tight budget right now, so I took more than my usual care grocery shopping. I pulled a couple of recipes I wanted to try, stopped off at my local mini Asian market to get some of the more obscure items, and went to the regular HEB for the rest. Lots of vegetables, a huge package of chicken thighs (I have roasted a couple whole chickens lately but the thighs are my favorite, and damn they're cheap) and some ground beef. I really wanted to take advantage of the eighteen-pound bag of locally-grown oranges for $5, but I just can't imagine eating all of them before they go bad, so I settled for the four-pound bag for $2. What a crazy markup!

The first thing I did when I got home is make Masaman curry with the chicken thighs - it's supposed to be better the second day, so I cooked it up and then portioned it and stuck it in the fridge. Initial tastings are promising.

I'm definitely slightly stiffer than I have been. It's pretty rainy, and I expect I'm still adjusting to the lower dose, so I'm not really worried yet. This is where having a spreadsheet is really handy - I can see that last time I dropped my dose, it took about five days for the pain and stiffness to level out, and the third day was the worst. So I'm not trying to change anything else right now, because my body is behaving as expected.

Today will be my first day back at karate since the holiday break. I'm looking forward to it, although my quads are still complaining from Sunday. My quads are unduly whiny.

1 comment:

anna said...

i'm amazed at how americans have been convinced they want chicken breasts and not thighs (thus the pricing). dark meat is the good part, silly people.

keeping an eye on the blog and hoping it brings you some insight into this joint badness!