Friday, July 24, 2009

GAHHHHHH

(Warning: Adult Language and EXCESSIVE USE OF CAPS)

I am fucking sick of working in an industry where this sort of shit makes it out into the public eye. I understand that absymally stupid ideas get floated in meetings all the time, but at a billion-dollar company like EA, you'd think SOMEONE would have the basic common sense to put a stop to a FUCKING CONTEST TO SEE WHO CAN HARASS YOUR EMPLOYEES THE MOST.

Yeah, they're booth babes, yeah, they're probably used to it. I don't care. First of all, "commit acts of lust" is NOT an acceptable way to describe "take your picture with the girl in the costume!" I've worked Comic-Con, and while there are lots of perfectly normal, well-adjusted people there, there are also a LOT of people with boundary issues, an imperfect understanding of social norms, and/or a really fucking twisted view of women. It's hard enough to maintain one's personal space - having fucking Marketing supporting the random gropage as a CONTEST does NOT HELP.

Secondly, any other women in, around, or remotely near that booth is going to have to deal with the spillover, guaranteed. I can barely imagine a more hostile work environment. I hope to hell they have an otherwise-all-male booth, or that the female employees have some good practical self-defense skills and a lawyer. *shudder*

Thirdly - Jesus, what kind of monkeys did EA hire instead of lawyers? I expect a certain casual misogyny from the Marketing department (sad to say) - sex sells, those boys know it, and they don't ever bother to think real hard about the implications of using it. But if I were anywhere near the EA booth and got my tit grabbed, I'd be on the phone to a shyster in seconds.

My God, what a stupid fucking idea. I can't decide if I'm glad I'm shut of those assholes, or if I'm sorry I no longer have a building key, because there's some nuts need kicking.

(Edited to add, apparently it's ANY booth babe, not just EA's. Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1...)

2 comments:

Pyxi said...

I agree with you 100%. It's ideas like this that make me so relieved that I got out of that industry when I could. I am no religious zealot, but encouraging 'sinful' behavior like this and making a contest out of objectifying women has to be the absolute stupidest idea I have ever heard.

I really hope that the women in costume were told explicitly what they were getting themselves into and were given the opportunity to back out of any contract they might have been in. How awful,

Anonymous said...

thank you for this. While I'm losing my faith in humanity and especially IT sector and find it easier to hate everyone in general and have exceptions on people I like, this did put a smile on my face and make me sigh in relief that perhaps not all is lost.