Apologies like this are worth less than nothing, very literally. It annoys me more to see that the people behind it still can't see the problem even when it's explicitly pointed out to them than it would if they just went on their merry way.
A real live booth babe weighs in. She uses more caps than I did, and I applaud her for it.
I love Lum's blog, and I'm always grateful for the traffic, but his commenters are... not good with topics like this.
An unemotional social media perspective on the contest and the resulting stink. I usually prefer to write pieces like that, but every now and then it's more fun to bellow at the stars.
A really good link roundup and perhaps the most succinct summary of the issue at hand: "This contest ENCOURAGES the behavior that makes cons UNSAFE FOR WOMEN. PERIOD."
I'll probably try to do a somewhat more technical analysis of this contest once my blood pressure is a little more stable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It isn't actually surprising that EA marketing would do this. They've been doing this in bits and pieces over the years. Even the progression of Ultima Online box art, for a brief period of time, was punctuated with gigantically-titted women in sexually objectifying poses that reached its zenith with an e-mailer of a blatant hooker soliciting former players to return to Sosaria.
It follows that EA's next marketing stunt will involve perpetrating simulated rape. Maybe they can promote the Sims 4 that way? "See how many female game developers at EA/Maxis YOU can WooHoo! with!" Followed by a list of their home addresses and work schedules.
Lum's blog is an excellent flypaper for the rest of us. I'm glad that he attracts all the crazies because that means the rest of us don't have to deal with them so much.
Post a Comment