Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Life and Karate, Day Fourteen

My dojo, Sun Dragon Martial Arts and Self Defense, is running its major yearly fundraiser. We're a nonprofit martial arts studio, which is something of a rare beast, and we raise money every year for our scholarship fund and the free self-defense classes we offer in the community. For my part, every day until the day of the Kickathon, I will write a random amusing anecdote about karate and self-defense - enjoy!

We're two weeks in! Today's is going to be another housekeeping/status post because it's Tuesday, and that's apparently my right brain's contractually guaranteed day off.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has donated! It's much appreciated, and it's going to a good cause. If you haven't donated yet, please consider it! I'm only asking $5 (although people have been much more generous than that, for which I am grateful,) and while I know times are tight, I hope it's something you can manage. (Incidentally, I was totally serious about the wearing a Ninja Turtles headband if y'all chip in $1000 in total. Pass the links around to your friends, and you too can revel in your power to instigate absurd pictures!)

If rather than donating money, you or your organization would like to donate prizes, that would be just as welcome. We have students of all ages from kindergarten on up participating in the Kickathon, and we would love to reward all of their efforts in some small way. Also, we'll be recognizing companies that donate prizes on our website and at the Kickathon! Email me for more details about prize donation.

We've got quite a few more days, and therefore posts, until November 7th. That's a lot of topics! I have a handful in the queue, but if you have topic requests, by all means send them over! My email address is in the sidebar, and I'm happy to take requests and also answer questions, provide additional info about the school, etc.

Either tomorrow or Thursday I'm going to start something different - I have a short story that, while it is currently a glorious mess, I think I can thump into shape. It's about zombies and karate and nanomolecular body modifications. Because, you know, regular zombies are so last week. So that will most likely go up in three parts over this week/weekend, unless it just refuses to stop being awful, which is always a possibility.

Thanks again for everyone's support - I hope you're enjoying this little exercise. And don't forget to donate $5 to our fundraiser!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Em,

Count us in for a donation. I'll send a check. Keep writing !

Love,
Mom and Dad