Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Bad Kind of Ow

I get mysterious joint pain in certain kinds of weather... such as the weather we're having today. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all that often, but unfortunately, when it does happen, it's been getting worse. It doesn't really restrict my movement, but it sure makes me grumpy and distracted.

On a more cheerful note, I did my deadlifts this morning, and they went well. It was a higher-rep workout than the heavy singles I'd been doing a lot of, which is good - somewhat more reps will build up my strength more efficiently. After all the lifting and carrying over the past couple weeks, I'm doubly determined to work on this kind of lift - it's just so practical.

Last night was just as slippery as Monday, although I did bring a towel and wiped my feet every few minutes. It helped, but was terribly distracting, and I was not at all satisfied with it as a long-term solution. I did some research and found a trick that I'm trying out - soaking the feet in strong black tea. Apparently the tannins in the tea are astringent and will make them sweat less, and the effect lasts for a while. It should take a week or so to see final results, but a box of cheap black tea is $3, and sticking my feet into a pot of it for twenty minutes a day is not much hardship. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em, One more thing...I think it would be good to see a doctor about the joint pain. Can't quite figure out what it is, but it would be good to try to find out. Love again from your un-neurotic mom.

Anonymous said...

Em...My first comment didn't go through. I'm upset about the floor situation. What are other people saying? It seems like there needs to be a more permanent solution, but in the meantime, good luck with that tea! Love, Mom